Many of us question, “Should I eat breakfast before my morning workout?” The answer is: No.
With the right choice of breakfast following a workout, your body will feel and look it’s best. Recent studies have proven that when eating a protein-based breakfast after cardiovascular exercise, it is much easier to shed those extra pounds and support overall weight loss. Sweating before eating is highly effective because your body burns through the excess of what is being stored, like last night’s tapas dinner and sangria, for instance. On the other hand, if you happen to eat carbohydrates or a sugar loaded food before a workout, your body will use that for energy during your session. Accordingly, eating a healthy breakfast post-workout is not only proven to achieve a leaner physique, but it also kick starts your metabolism for the remainder of the day! Here are some helpful tips to follow if you are new to this method of eating:
1. Start your day with a sweat, followed by a protein-filled breakfast (Tip: Protein shakes with a high quality of protein, like Whey, are highly recommended).
2. If you can’t workout on an empty stomach, drink a light protein shake, or a green juice. An example of a total green juice would include: kale, spinach, ginger, parsley, and celery (basically no fruit).
3. Drink a boatload of water during/after workout as hydration is everything!
4. Eat meals during an 8-10 hour window throughout your day. For example, if you eat your first meal at 9 a.m., have your last meal between 5-7 p.m.
5. Sleeping for at least 8 hours will help boost energy for a morning workout on an empty stomach.